Tuesday, June 14, 2011

I Got it BACK!!

Something really exciting happened yesterday...
I FINALLY got my overhand serve back!! For those of you who don't know, I played volleyball all throughout high school and my overhand serve was my weapon. haha But last summer I was playing with a couple of friends and one of the guys threw the ball over to me to serve and it ricocheted off of my pinkie. I thought I had jammed it so I wasn't trying to make a big deal of it, but before I could get the ball it REALLY started to hurt. So I glanced down and my previously normal pinkie, was normal NO MORE! In fact it was bent all nice and I had to put it behind my back so that I wouldn't feint or something. The guys all thought I was joking when I said " I think I either broke my pinkie or dislocated it". But when they realized how serious I was being they ran over and examined it for themselves. One of the guys offered to pop it back in, but I decided it would be best if  I just went to the ER. So I called my mom and told her calmly that I thought I dislocated my pinkie and that I needed to go to the ER. She had no idea how bad it was until I was driven home and she looked at it for herself. It still took forever for us to find an ER that was open after 10:30 and my Mom, being the Law-abiding citizen that she is, drove the speed limit the whole time. haha Needless to say I wasn't in the best of moods... I was feeling a little panicked, because this was my first injury that required me to go to the ER and it was hurting, a bag of peas just wasn't cuttin' it!
      So they got me in, asked my level of pain and then sat me in a room, gave me an x-ray (they said it was janitorial , because a janitor could come in and say "Oh yea, that's dislocated alright"), gave me some drugs and eventually a doctor came in to fix my altered pinkie. The interesting part to this story is that it was a new doctor that was doing an internship who was going to fix it. They asked if it was okay and I thought "what's the big deal?" well the fact that my pinkie still doesn't look normal.... I think next time I'll take the veteran. haha So That's my story. I haven't been able to hit a volleyball very hard, but last night I FINALLY got It!! It was a real triumph! :) 

1 comment:

  1. Yay! That pinkie hasn't been nice to you for a long time, so I am glad it is beginning to behave again!
    con amour,
    Anniemal

    ReplyDelete